Thursday, June 14, 2012

Socijsbrood Recipe



What is that? Well, this is one of my favorite childhood snack. "Peranakan" food they called (Melayu and Chinese combined). I eat this since I was a kid when the old lady walking around selling socijsbrood. It's a pastry filled with minced meat. When I grow up, she never appear again, so I try to find all kind of socijsbrood in town, none of them near the smell on my mouth when I ate them. Until... I found this recipe from femina group cook book. This recipe usually chicken liver, but... I dislike them. I made this recipe for 2 giant rolls ( I love full stuffed pastry), so you may divide them into 4 rolls.

Ingredients:
500 g minced beef (with some fats)
200 g chicken liver (if you like)
2 egg yolk
2 slice white plain bread (minced)
1 tbsp margarine
75 g onion (chopped)
30 mL cooking cream
1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
1/2 tsp white pepper powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp white granulated sugar



For topping:
375 g puff pastry dough ( I buy the ready made)
1 egg yolk + some water for the spread

How - to make:
1. If you want to make 4 rolls, with the rolling pin, flattened the dough until it reached 20x30cm for each roll. I just use the ready made without rolling them. Heat the oven about 200 degree Celcius

2. For the fillings: If you use chicken liver, rinse the liver with boiling water then fine chopped it. Mixed the liver, minced beef, and minced bread.

3. Heat the pan, add the margarine and onion until the smell comes out. Set aside. Put the onion into the minced beef-liver mixture. Add the eggs, cream, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and sugar evenly.

4. Take a slice of pastry dough, put the meat mixture then spread some water to stick the dough and roll it. Coat the pastry surface with egg yolk (not too much). Scratch some of the pastry surface until the beef mixture can bee seen.

5. Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown. Let it cool then cut into slices. EnjoY!

No comments:

Post a Comment