Sunday, March 25, 2012

Finaly: Red velvet Moist Cupcake

Well.. well.. my BFF, Evelin and friends at my FB and Twitter request this recipe. Yes! RVC is on fire nowadays at any cafe or restaurant. I wonder why why..why. I never truly love eating cake before except ice cream cake or most of the cake consist of chocolate. But, I ordered one from my church friend then I loved it! because the cake she made was moist and not too spongy. I tried and searched for some recipes and inspired by two baking chef: joyofbaking.com and foodwishes.com, then as usual I modified some of them.
You better be ready to buy cups and food scale to measure the ingreadients. Cake or any other desserts need to be exact in measure, specially for beginners like me. :)
So sorry I forgot to took the making pictures but I hope this recipe helps. Enjoy!

Moist red velvet cupcake (serve 12 small cup)

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups (125 grams) sifted all purpose flour (SIFTED! You don't want any lumps, right?)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt (small granulated)
1 tbps cocoa powder
1/4 cup (57 grams) unsalted / salted butter at room temperature
3/4 cups (150 grams) granulated white sugar (gula pasir biasa)
1 large egg ( I read once, use an egg with a big yolk to make cake)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or essence, if you don't have)
1/2 cup  buttermilk (adjust your sel and compare 1 tbsp distilled vinegar by 240mL milk, let it about 5-10 minutes)
1 tablespoon liquid red food coloring
1/2 teaspoon white distilled vinegar (if you don't have any, use usual vinegar- I tried it before)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Cream cheese frosting:
I tried to mixed some with whipped cream but it turned out bad, twice!
By the help of my sis-in-law (FB: dailycious), we didn't use any whipped cream (don't have the photo, I don't know where it gone in my file), instead we use:
200 g sifted icing sugar
200 g cream cheese
100 g butter
 
NB: You can modified the sweetness by reducing the amount of icing sugar.
 
How to make:
1. Put the sifted flour in a bowl then add the sifted cocoa powder and baking powder and salt then stir it well
2. Put the butter in another bowl and mix it with hand or standing mixer until soft. Then add the sugar, egg, vanilla extract and mix until soft.
3. Mixed in a glass: the buttermilk and food coloring (BE CAREFUL of the stain)
4. Put one third of number 1 in number 2 the turn on the mixer into slow until medium speed, then add the number 3 about half of it; continue to put the number 1 then 3 until it finished.
5. Mix the vinegar and baking soda until they bubbled then insert it into number 4.
6. Put the dough with spoon/ ice cream scoop to the cupcake paper and bake them about 18-20 minutes on 180 degree Celcius. Try to pin a toothpick to make sure the cake is cooked well.
7. While waiting the cake to cool, we make the topping by beating the cream cheese with mixer until soft then add the butter, and the last is icing sugar (low speed, please or the icing sugar will burst out and make you look like snowman hehehe)
8. Put the topping / frosting in a pipping bag or just spread the frosting with spatula or spoon.
9. You can add as many topping again after frosting, like the crushed RVC (sacrificed one maybe) and spread them evenly by small piece to make it look nice).

NB: Vinegar? Yup! To moist the cake.. not like any other dry cake. This is the secret ingredient :)



2nd trial-Up: before; below: after
1st trial low fat 4 Eveline by me

No comments:

Post a Comment